Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Importance of Family and Friends

Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity.

Websters defines adversity as; a state, condition, or instance of serious or continued difficulty


Proverbs 18:24  A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Throughout the different stages in life we see friendships and relationships (yes even with family) change and grow. When my kids were small I had friends that I could call if I needed the kids watched for a bit... and they could call me for the same. I knew there were some people that I could go to for anything, from a cup of sugar to a deep heart to heart talk. Though many of the names of those in my closest circle have changed over the years-- though there are a few that, have been in that most intimate level for decades, whether I see them every week or once every few years; there is just something in our relationship that never changes. Some friends we aren't necessarily as close to as those in the smaller circle, yet without them our lives would have some serious voids. I have found that there are some people that only touched my life for a short period but without them, there are things I would never have learned. I am thankful for each and every person that is a part of my life, each one is a gift from God.

Each of us has seen those around us at moments, where someone we care about has hit a crisis point in life- these points vary for all of us. Sometimes it may be a rough patch at work, maybe with a child or spouse or like in our case they are facing a truly life and death situation. I think that most of us have a heart to reach out when we see things happen to those that we care about. I have tried through the years to reach out and be there for others when they needed support, and probably better at some times than others. But until recently I really never understood just how much those gestures meant. Since we entered the cancer battle, I can honestly say that, now I know how much it means when someone reaches out.

We have been blessed by an amazing outpouring of support in this battle, and it all-- and I mean ALL, has touched me in ways I can't even express. Sometimes my response to a question may seem kinda low key, due at times to my being in kind of a, 'I just have to get through this day on an even keel' mode. Other times more enthusiasm may be shown, honestly please know this... regardless of what you see on the outside, know this, it all matters! The support of family and friends- those we see in person, and the more extended base of friends on Facebook has been a blessing and a strengthening to us.

In the early part of this battle a friend of ours referred to the prayer support of those around us in a way that really stuck with me. He correlated it to the support that Moses got when he grew tired.  Exodus 17:12 But Moses' hands became heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. The prayers of those around, encouraged and strengthened us when we were so tired that it was a challenge to press on.

We continue to trust in the Lord daily walking by faith. We know that it is only through the Grace of God and the prayers of those around us that Glenn is here today, so thank you, each one that has prayed for us, spoken a word of encouragement, been there to listen or reached out to us... Thank You!

We have learned a lot through this walk and one of those things is the importance of those around us, and being there for others. When we are asked for prayer, hear of a prayer need or see a prayer request on Facebook we don't wait, we pray immediately. We know the importance of that, no longer do we put it off... it's too easy to forget.

We really do know that each day truly is a gift from the Lord, remember, no one knows the number of days that they have been given to live on this big blue marble so ENJOY life! Don't sweat the small things, remember 90% of the stress you feel today will be irrelevant in a week or two. So reach out and be there for your family and friends, both intimate and acquaintances. A word of encouragement at the right time can literally change a life. Be a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

In closing, on this one, if you need prayer, reach out! If you ask, we will pray!


1 comment:

  1. Way to let your light shine Mary! Love you so much. You have been exemplary in your example to others through all of this. I can but imagine what a pillar of strength you have been in Glenn's life. You go Proverbial woman!

    ReplyDelete