It's the start of a new year and that means "New Years Resolutions." That's the tradition, right? The only problem with it, is more people fail at them than succeed.
So in pondering the year ahead, I decided that I'm not doing "resolutions." I am setting goals;
- Those that I know I can reach with minimal effort.
- Those that I can reach with more focus and effort.
- And finally those that I would like to reach, though some parts are beyond my immediate control.
All goals take diligence and effort on our parts. I would rather set them and maybe not achieve all of them, than not set any and end up doing nothing. A friend once told me, just shoot for the stars and if you only hit the moon, that's okay. I agree.
Last year my basic goals were simple, pay my bills each month, plant a garden - which I did, and I learned where I will adjust and improve on things this year, a doable goal. And last was to make fudge for Christmas again, which I also did.
I realize that to some, those aren't really big deals, and that's okay. For me though, since I am still in the process of learning to live life without Glenn, they were significant. I am so much better at balancing life this year than last, those were steps I needed.
The bills, were a blending of faith in the Lord for provision, and making sure I was diligent with the finances He gave me. I can tell you this-- The Lord is faithful!
The garden was a desire to take some control of my food sourcing and it was simple to start. The maintenance wasn't, hard, per-say, but it required me to remember to water it daily and to take care of it... and this year I will build my own tomato cages, lol, I need sturdier and larger than I used last year.
The fudge, well that was an emotional hurdle, but it was something I enjoy doing and I wanted to do it again- in 2013 I just couldn't bring myself to make it since it was something I had always done with Glenn. This year, I was determined to make it, and I did, and I enjoyed it! I took back and area that brings joy to my heart, and that's huge.
At this moment some of my goals for this year, some are easier to implement than others:
- First and foremost, continue to grow in God.
- The garden- with improvements in place!
- Re-do my yard somewhat, I would like to replace the bark and do a bit of landscaping. This one has so much to it that there will be mini-goals along the way.
- Lose 10-20 pounds... we shall see, lol. Really what I want is to continue improving my health.
- Find a way to take a cruise sometime in the next 12-16 months.
I know I will be adding more along the way, some I will make and others, well, we shall see. No matter how you look at it though, if I only achieve 1 then that is forward progress!
Remember- goals are doable, resolutions are easy to push aside or give up on.
May the Lord give each of you a blessed and prosperous 2015!!