Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Heartaches and Bumpy Days

Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.


The last week or so, I have had quite a few of 'those moments,' the ones that just hit out of nowhere, my heart just begins to ache and the tears begin to flow. Some just come from nowhere, they just hit, others are due to a trigger.

Emotional triggers... ugh, the hard thing, you can't avoid them because they are like landmines, you don't see them coming. I can hear a song one day and be fine, the next, I hear it and all of a sudden, BAM! A wave of memories, this last week the one that got to me was "Your Smiling Face" by James Taylor.  When I heard it, it took me back to our youth, when we were at DeMolay Dances (Rainbow and Jobies too) and we would be dancing, I can remember the faces I would make, and the ones he would make back, we loved to goof with each other that way... I miss it, so much.

Another one was when I was driving down Hwy 99 and I passed a car lot that they have some used RV's on. You might think, 'that's odd,' but it isn't really, you see, Glenn and I had dreams of some long road trips, he spent a lot of time this last year looking at used RV's online, trying to figure how we could get one, for the future... the heartache of unfinished dreams.

It is at these moments that I lean on scriptures like the one above, I remember that strength that God gives me. I know that I can't imagine doing this without the Lord, it is through Him that I have the strength to get up each day, to put one foot in front of the other and to press forward in this new season of life.

God is here for each of us, we need to press into Him-- whether times are good or you are in a hard season. Consistency is key; if we allow ourselves to be lazy and we don't press in during the easy times then I guarantee it will be hard when times get bumpy. When life starts getting hard many people will turn toward God, and they may pray... but if isn't already a habit at some level then they may be doing it in their own strength and if that is the case, when the storm really hits, they may get pulled under. 

It is through time spent with the Lord that we get our bearings, He is the Anchor in the times of storm. It is through those times that we learn to respond to problems rather than react. I have been blessed to watch some amazing examples of God's strength in times of storm, those who run toward the Lord and take cover in Him. I have also witnessed those who did the opposite, the storm hit, things didn't go as planned and they got angry at God and life, they seem to be walking along a canyon that is getting wider and further from where they said they wanted to be before the storm hit... Wow, as I am typing this, the whole parable of the two houses comes to mind...  Something that is good to ponder about our life habits; "Am I building on the Rock or on the sand"

Prov 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment