Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Christmas Gift

Matthew 2:11 And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.


Those gifts, brought to a small child so long ago were brought to bless the child who would grow to become the Savior of the world. The tradition of giving gifts at Christmas today, for many of us, reflects the gifts of the Magi to Jesus.

As a result of this, at this time of year a big question, hmmm, what can I give to ________? (fill in the blank) I asked Glenn a little while back what he wanted for Christmas, his comment... I don't need material things. Just being here is enough. 

You know, we've both said this kind of thing over the years, many people who have children have done with out at least one Christmas and for some it's been many-- this year though it's not said out of the need to spend elsewhere, but from the heart of a man who simply is thankful to be here. I am so blessed to have this man in my life, he was my 2 day late Christmas present 31 years ago. (Yep our anniversary is Dec 27th)

This year has been one that has truly given us reason to reflect on many things. When you are facing something like cancer, you really do re-prioritize things... you really don't sweat the small stuff any more.  A couple years back when Glenn's dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer he showed us a medallion that he wears, it has three letters IDM... it doesn't matter. That's where the small stuff rates, it doesn't matter.

This is something we've come to understand more fully this year, the small stuff will be what it's gonna be, no point in wasting the energy of stressing it. Focus on the important things, family, friends and most importantly for us, doing what the Lord wants us to do. In the midst of all of this, we want to be found doing, being good and faithful servants... that is our gift of worship to the Lord. He cared enough for us to send His son, whose birth we are celebrating, to become the sacrifice upon the cross for our sins, sicknesses and infirmities.

It is through that gift, that I have my Christmas present, my husband, the man I have loved for over 3 decades, and whom I believe that I will have for years to come, through the healing that God is working in Him. We have a lot of things we still want to do, both in working for the Lord,  and fun stuff too, so we continue to press and praise and be thankful for the gift of each day together.

May the Lord bless you all with an amazing Christmas!! I know ours will be the best ever!

...... and yes, I still want to get him something to put under the tree. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment