Sunday, May 26, 2013

Saying Goodbye...

Saying goodbye is really never easy, whether it's the simplicity of when a friend is moving away, the complexity of s broken relationship of some sort, or the final goodbye. Yes, I know that when you are in Christ, death isn't really the end, but it is the end of the day to day fellowship with our loved ones.

Even though I know Glenn has been with the Lord for 3 weeks now, as it is stated in 2 Chronicles 5:8 "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." it was yesterday that the we really said goodbye. The Celebration of Life service was a blessing, painful in ways... how could it not when I was saying goodbye to my best friend of over 33 years, the love of my life and the father of my children. Yet, it really was a blessing... the lives that Glenn touched, represented by a sea of purple- thank you for honoring him by the wearing of his favorite color. 

Though the moments with people were so brief, I saw people from so many stages of our lives-- the ones that I haven't seen in years, (and certainly not all at once in the same place!) to the ones that have been a part of our daily lives-- you all mean so much!  Some have had a long history with Glenn, and their lives were made richer by the friendship. But I also spoke with a few that had, really, the briefest of contact, as little as a single conversation that changed their life... WOW, God is amazing!! I knew that Glenn was a special man, but somehow, it was brought home in an even more significant way yesterday- thank you for sharing!

My children amaze me, like any other mom, I love my kids and am proud of them, yesterday however, was truly amazing... They are hurting, they miss their dad, but the love and honor they showed yesterday- it may bring tears to my eyes for a long time to come. They stepped up, they wanted to do the things that they did in the service; they have said that they see a strength in me, but let me say this, I see amazing strength in each of them!! I am thankful that as I look at each of them, I see so much of their dad in them, and God is opening my eyes to how the mantle that Glenn carried is being deposited uniquely in each of their lives.

I am also thankful to be in a house of the Lord that is family! My heart has been overwhelmed by so many in the past few weeks and again yesterday... All those that came, and so many who served, thank you!! This may sound silly but when I walked into the chapel for the luncheon, I quite literally was on the verge of tears. This wasn't because I had just come back from the cemetery, but because the amazing amount of food that was brought by so many and the fact that so many  people were still there (at the church), and had waited for us to get there before eating, and we were way behind everyone- and it was way past lunchtime. Again, my heart can't really express what this meant to me.

Thank you also to Joy Christian Fellowship for livestreaming the service so that those that couldn't be there in person were able to join us from where they were.

Thank you all for having walked alongside us all these years, and especially during the last 15 months. Your prayers, friendship and the things you have done have blessed me and my family beyond my ability to fully convey. I know in my heart that I am not alone, I have been blessed with both family and church family and friends to walk through the days ahead. I know that God has a future for me and I know that you are all there with me and the kids to see that we press forward.... Yes I will say it again- I love you and am thankful for each and everyone of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment